Monday, August 8, 2011

HEAT

I know that many of you have been having abnormally warm weather, and yes I have mocked my fellow canadians for their inability to weather a bit of warmth, but last night I have to admit, I was longing for winter! This Canadian girl really was not made for temperatures over 35 degrees!
Perhaps I have been pampered the last two weeks sleeping either in an air conditioned hotel room in Tashkent, or sharing the one air conditioned room of my co-worker's flat in another city, but last night, after an 8 hour drive back to the capital... it was hot! I have no idea what the temperature was, since at a certain point it doesn't really matter if it is 43 or 46... it's just hot!
I think that last night was likely one of the hottest nights I can ever remember having. In preparation for the hot night, I took a cold shower and laid down to sleep in front of the fan. 2 hours later I woke up, covered in sweat. Had another cold shower and went back to bed. 2 hours after that I figured that this wasn't really such a great sleeping arrangement, waking up every 2 hours to shower to cool off so I had a great idea and soaked a sheet in cold water and covered myself with it in front of the fan... This worked wonderfully, and I was hyst starting to drift off to a chilly slumber when my neighbour's rooster wandered over to my window and announced that it was time to get up. He was quite determined that I get up and would not be shushed. After tossing and turning, putting in ear plugs and covering my head with a pillow I started counting his crows and found that this little guys was amazingly punctual and persistent, making his announcement every 15-20 seconds! I'm hoping that I have learned something and tonight will be armed with a wet sheet, a fan, and perhaps an air horn! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment