Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Living in a bubble

I know I know... a month and a half since my last post = epic failure as a blogger! If there do happen to be any hard-core purist bloggers out there... my appologies. To the rest of you, I see you survived just fine without hearing from me so let's just move on now shall we?

Quick summer recap:
  • It was HOT... beastly hot! That's about all I can say. 
  • I made the trip to Tashkent to change the type of visa I was on since the embassy in the US apparently doesn't talk to the authorities here and gives out whatever visa types they want.  Tashkent was kind of a bust... beastly hot, nobody to talk to since I don't speak Uzbek or Russian, and a big chunk of the nice restaurants and supermarkets were closed... I suck at travelling alone! 
  • Spent a WONDERFUL week in Khujand, the city where I used to live and caught up with lots of friends, including my old host family (met the new wife and child) and a lot of my old co-workers (although the children were on holidays so I didn't get to see any of them).  Lots of reading in the a/c in the mid-afternoon and walking by the cool river in the evenings! Ahh it was wonderful. 
  • A mad rush of visa Letter-of-invitation's being prepared for all the new recruits!
  • One week at a conference meeting co-workers from surrounding countries which was great and included some amazing stories, 
  • Found out that the authorities here have given up playing with our visa types for now and no-one else needs to do the visa trip that I just did... yeah for them.! 
  • Had my wallet stolen on the bus, and like a novice traveler I of course had a hefty lump of cash, 2 credit cards, 2 bank cards, my student card, and drivers license in there! Grrr, and not like I can just nip down to the local branch of my bank and get a replacement card. I guess it's back to living on instant noodles for me!
  • the last few weeks have been getting logistics set up for many of the new recruits, and for once actually having a schedule!
So, that brings us up to today... I was sitting and thinking the other morning as the sun peeked over the rooftops and streamed in my window... life really is very good! I feel like I have really found my role, a good mixture of work and play, the weather is just about perfect (35C in the day and 12-15C overnight), everyone is back from summer and we are starting to get a bit more traction in our projects again, I'm taking one of my university courses online and seems to be going well! Then, I started to look forward... In only two months time I can picture myself gearing down, packing up, madly trying to finish uni assignments, and going through all the many pains of transitioning again. In a little while, the bubble will burst, but for now I am just going to revel in the rosy glow of the moment, floating along in my bubble and enjoy this season. A wise man I love once said  "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." So that's what I plan on doing...





1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy! Happy to see you can maintain a positive outlook through some of the bleaker times. Fall seems to be a good time for many of us. First we balk at the schedules and various commitments, then when we settle down a bit, we realise how much we actually enjoy them. I hope the rest of your stay will be a positively memorable time for you and that you be used in mighty ways! We love you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete