I made it, and here is the sweet spot… my plan to wear layer upon layer of my heaviest clothes in order to stay within the strict hand luggage policy was completely unnecessary as they didn't even look at my bulging suitcase!
I have to say that it was quite an odd sensation being surrounded by a language that I haven't heard for so long, and have been quite surprised as I open my mouth, and something relatively coherent in Tajik tumbles out. I had no idea that those words were still hiding in the crevices of my brain!
Already it feels like a lot has happened and it is begining to feel like I never left. After the driver and I spend close to 15 minutes fiddling with the gate lock, I found a welcoming party of 2 dogs, a cockroach the size of my thumb and a whole army of ants! I thought I would be exhausted on arrival, but found it impossible to sleep so instead spent a few hours cleaning and exploring my new home. I attempted to do some washing which was not so successful when using the machine (the plug started smoking and now the washer is half filled with soapy water), so I gave up and washed a few essentials by hand. I swept the yard, fed the dog, slept for 3 hours, went to the market, and now here I am sitting on my couch with a bowl of cherries as a pot of soup simmers on the stove! Ahh, all in all a fairly successful first day I would say, although I have yet to tackle the process of having a shower which in this country usually ends up being far more difficult than you might first expect!
-update: shower was less difficult than expected, and after passing day 2 at the office I now have a phone, but internet is just at the office for now. I will try to post some photos of where I am soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment