Tuesday, June 14, 2011

All that Glitters is... ME!

There has been some strange changes afoot. I went to the bazaar to find fabric for a new dress, and amidst all the usual fare, along with my 2 Tajik co-workers, I finally found a material that we all just loved! We haggled and bargained, and finally walked away with a bag full of material and then started scouring the bazaar for matching hair clips and earrings… seriously, I was having a grand time, and I have never been so excited to wear sparkles and glitter in my life! Then, today, I happened across some nice royal blue material with metallic silver circles all over it, and had to have it.

I know I have never been one know particularly for my fashion sense, but what happened to me that when I see glitter and sequins and embroidery I think "oooh I just can't wait to sew this into a big sack with holes for the neck and arms and then add more embroidery sequins and beads! It will be SO pretty! Maybe I'll even get a matching hair clip, earrings and ooh there is a handbag the same color!" Seriously though, all the material that I have bought for dresses so far is FULL of sparkles.  I put my pink dress with silver sparkles on it, in the washing machine tonight and it has now transformed a good portion of my wardrobe into something from a Disney film. Fairy dust covers EVERYTHING. My towel, my shirt, tank tops (for under things) and even all my underwear! Well, this IS Tajikistan.

I do have to admit though that in the last weeks, I have really been enjoying living in Tajikistan! Everything seems different, and I think it's me! As mentioned in my last post, I have been having some misses when it comes to those in need, but perhaps that encounter was exactly what I needed. I have found myself, nearly everywhere I go engrossed in conversations with sellers and cleaners and waitresses about their families and their work and their lives. I feel like I am finally "seeing" people with more clarity than before and while their problems are heavy, there is often something I can do to help, even if it only is to show that I care. It is starting to feel like I actually live here!
*note: this type of feeling/day is usually followed by one that is just rotten so we'll see what tomorrow brings*

1 comment:

  1. AWE-SOME! You go, girl! Wear that bling with pride! :)

    ReplyDelete